Speech Therapy FAQ NEW
What can cause Speech Delay in Toddlers and Kids?
- Hearing Loss
- Lack of speech Stimulation at early stage (below2 years)
- Environmental factors
- Multi Language exposure
- Genetic factors
- Medical factors
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Neurological problems like
– Cerebral Palsy
– Muscular Dystrophy
– Traumatic Brain Injury
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Delayed Receptive or Expressive Language
- Global Developmental Delay
How to help Kids with Stuttering ?
- Practice mindfulness
- Slow down speech
- Make them Aware about his/ her dysfluencies
- Breathing techniques
- Try to provide a relaxed environment
- Try not to react in negative way. Instead ,praise your child for correct speech
Is Speech Development Delay same as Autism?
Speech delay is when your child doesn’t reach their speech milestones at the expected time. While autism refers to a group of complex neuro- developmental disorders present from early childhood which is characterised by the difficulty in communication, problems with social interaction, repetitive talk. Seldom imitates actions, sounds, or expressions, social emotional understanding, poor social awareness and atypical behaviours.
How does Bell’s palsy affect Speech in Children?
A person with facial palsy may experience difficulties with speech. The facial nerve is responsible for movement of the lips and maintains good muscle tone in the cheeks.
When the facial nerve is damaged the lips can become weak and the muscle tone in the cheek can be lost or reduced. And with the help of medicines prescribed by your Doctor and Oro motor massages from the Speech Therapist can help in the recovery.